Monday, December 30, 2019

Peeking Ranger

firstlookatRanger

Tortoises can take a while to get over a big change in their lives. They need caretakers that understand their ways and are patient, kind, and pay attention to details. When I took this picture in early Dec, I had Ranger for 16 days. I didn't brush the substrate off of him before I got him out of his habitat because he's been through enough. He had not eaten anything since before I got him. I had been soaking him daily in an electrolyte solution to prevent dehydration. I had been putting every kind of food in front of him including appetite stimulants. This was the first time I had seen him come out in front of food, and I was hoping he'd eat. He didn't eat anything, but he did keep his head out and watched us which is progress.

Update: It has been 41 days since he arrived, and we still have not seen him eat. His weight has remained steady, so no worries. He is not hiding as much and will walk around the room a little. He enjoys having his back rubbed.