Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Quail Feeders

nowastequailfeeder

I was only home for half a day when Emily told me we needed new no waste quail feeders.

For anyone looking to make one, you need a wide container because they will jump on top of them. The wider base keeps it from tipping when getting near empty. I used the red containers from two sets of these.

I melted holes at the top with my soldering iron. I used the bottle's cap as a template for the holes. I went back over the edges with the iron a little but didn't bother with it too much.

Most people would fuss with the rough edges. Some spend a lot of time using sandpaper. I see where wild quail live on my place. It's rugged and thorny. Those rough, but not sharp, edges have never hurt my quail. Why put a lot of time into something that is only going to get poop on it?

Quail like to shake their heads while they eat. They sling food all over the place. Their waste of feed is the biggest complaint most people have about them. You can reduce that waste with a feeder designed for them to stick their heads through in order to eat. This design works pretty well for us.

They asked, and He brought quail,
And satisfied them with the bread of heaven.
Proverbs 105:40