Saturday, February 16, 2019

The Night Someone Shot into Our Home

windowtotoilet
bullet hole proximity to toilet

We live 1/8 a mile off the road in the middle of 14 acres with natural barriers. We have no close neighbors. We have a gate at the end of our long driveway that stays locked at night. Our area is very rural and has a very low crime rate. The last time I checked, the murder statistic was 1 person a year if we even have a murder. We felt very safe in our location. As hard as it may seem, we still feel safe but for a different reason.

I guess it was around 12:30-1:30 a.m. when I went went to the restroom. I was very groggy. There is a window by the toilet. I look out of it a lot because our critters are usually moving around. I moved the curtain a little and glanced out of it a couple of times like always. I stood up to the sink and saw the motion lights go off in the front yard in my peripheral vision. I did not see anything when I looked again after washing my hands, so I figured it was our geese moving around. 

As I left the bathroom, I heard a tap in the shower. Sometimes the children leave things haphazard so I figured it was shampoo or something else falling. I noted to check it in the morning and went back to bed. When I looked the next day, I saw a deep dent in the shower frame and thought one of the children had hit it with something. I did not see anything that had fallen. I shrugged my shoulders and kept going.

Bethany found the hole in the window later while cleaning and knew exactly what it was.  

The police were called. They eventually determined the person was standing right out of my view just out of the light. Basically it was in the center front of our home. The motion sensing light stopped them from being closer to the house. That light was given to me just a few months prior.

Our security cameras were offline so we did not capture any footage. We have since added several more motion lights, a new and very bright spot light, and more cameras with better night vision. We consider these things prudent but not essential.

The first three nights, we were scared and spent a lot of time praying about what to do for the safety of our children. Then, God answered the oldest five of our clan, all at the same time, with an indescribable peace and sense of knowing that He will keep us from harm. We went right back to living as normal. He protected us before and can again if that is His will.  

I still stay here alone at night when it works out that way, and I sleep deeply. 


In peace I will lie down and sleep,
 for you alone, 
LORD, 
make me dwell 
in safety. 
Psalm 4:8 


You will keep in perfect peace
 those whose minds are steadfast,
 because they trust 
in you. 
Isaiah 26:3

 And the peace of God, 
which transcends all understanding, 
will guard your hearts 
and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7


More to come...