Tuesday, May 18, 2021

4 Foot This Time

4footkingsnake

Caleb found an even bigger kingsnake on the outskirts of our place.
This one is 4'. He took it to Joshua's room first. Then he brought it to mine.

Of course, he doesn't say, "Hey Mom, I found another harmless kingsnake I want you to see before I move it." 

No, he knocks and says, "Mom, don't freak out. Don't freak out now. Don't freak out, Mom."

That's like pouring gas on a flame! Give me some details!

Then I see the snake. It is shadowy in my room. My son has been talking about pit vipers lately. Talking about them a bit too much, IMO.

With not being able to identify the snake and with his viper talk in my head, I say a WORD and crawl backward on my bed to the wall.

Caleb quietly chuckles at me and says, "It's a harmless kingsnake. It's a big one though. I thought you'd want to see it before I let it go."

I chill and enjoy observing the harmless and beneficial snake which was much more chill than I was.

Emily followed him outside and took the picture you see above.

I am actually happy we have found two kingsnakes on our place so far this year. I am wondering if our long-time black snake resident has died and these have moved in to take over. We had a big black snake Clint allowed to live in our lumber shed to help keep rodent numbers down on our farm. It was massive and did not bother our chicks or eggs. We rarely saw it. I have not seen It or any shed skins this year. Time will tell.