Tuesday, May 04, 2021

"Moooooooom!! SNAKE!!!"

kingsnake

On the morning of April 22, Emily and Hannah were picking up things in the yard that had been sitting since mid-winter. My girls were doing as I taught them. They were lifting things with a hoe and lifting away from their body. They found this pretty kingsnake under a piece of cardboard.

My girls did not know what kind of snake it was, so they called me. I am very proud of them for showing wisdom and compassion for God's creation and not killing indiscriminately. Stewardship over the earth encompasses so much more than recycling. One can't make a valid claim of caring about the environment if they are destroying creatures.

Picking the snake up was an option because this was a really laid-back snake, but I am not there. In fact, I have no plans to go there. I used a hoe to gently lift and move the snake to a bucket with holes in it. I put a tight-fitting lid on it. The snake, in the bucket, is waiting in Caleb's room. Yes, it is in the house. I did not leave it outside because the sun + bucket = dead snake. It can't get out. I keep reminding myself of that. Caleb texted his appreciation and excitement to me. I stepped out of my comfort zone and earned an A+ because I showed tangible support for HIS INTERESTS. 

Why are these called "king?" They can handle the venom of rattlesnakes, copperheads, and water mocassins (aka cottonmouth). They are very strong constrictors and can kill larger snakes. Add that to their diet of small rodents and insects, they are great to have around. They are a homeowner's and gardener's friend. They are even better on farms where one has livestock feed stores that attract rodents.

The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, 
the world, and all who live in it. 
Psalm 24:1

Who has a claim against me that I must pay? 
Everything under heaven belongs to me. 
Job 41:11