Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Food Prices

I've been checking for the update to the USDA Food Price Outlook this morning. It posted a bit later than expected, but it has been updated. It shows more increases nearly across the board. 

If you combine this with the Bloomberg Agri Spot Index (below), you see the increases will likely be significant and long-lasting. There are many banks and commodities experts saying to expect significant price increases. "Sticker shock" at the grocery store is how one group phrased it.

agrispotindex

When the US government started talking about the child tax credit monthly payments to keep children fed, I started taking closer notice. If it was just the ones below the poverty line that would be needing help with food for their children, then why is the tax credit for nearly all households with children? "What do they see coming that would affect so many?" I asked myself. I considered if the payments were to start in July as a possible clue as to when they expected the rising prices to be really felt. Here we are and the two are coinciding like I suspected. It doesn't mean I am correct that these two things go together, but I am not a big believer in coincidences. 

The image below shows you how I think as I take information and seek wisdom from the Lord as the manager of my household.

mynotes2

Using the price outlook, I made notes I could share with my husband along with some brainstorming about how to offset some of these costs. I noted what would see the greatest increases so I can plan around them. Some of these things I already do, and some are ideas for further measures. I will definitely cover my hoop houses (and another area I have) to turn them into greenhouses this year to extend our growing season. 

Most of my notes are self-explanatory. I have to drink green tea once a day right now. I drink one in the morning in place of coffee. I can save some dollars making my own. I may even can some in half pints so it will be ready-made on the shelf. 

Dear Reader, I think it is wise that if you have not, to purchase what you reasonably can as soon as you can. Can you also grow a garden? Container garden? What ways can you cut back to offset the rising prices? Mostly, you should prepare yourself spiritually, mentally, and physically for whatever may come. My love to all. 

When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
Proverbs 31:21,25