Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Coronavirus: He did the math (positive news)

Jon simply did the math based on the new antibody testing results in LA county and figured out the death rate. Looking at the math and relaying facts along with his personal opinion really ticked some people off. You will find the source he used in the link. 

I might crack a joke about math now and then, but one does not successfully run a large family/farm/businesses without utilizing it frequently. Math can reveal truth to help us understand and react to a situation for our good. The information math reveals can also help us around our very stubborn confirmation bias. 

Should you care to know, I have been tested, for what it's worth, and found to have a very low confirmation bias. That means I tend not to anchor onto early information as fact and am very open to new information that may change my mind. This has helped me in finances, mothering, homeschooling, relationships, and in many other areas of life. Any situation can use a second, third, and even tenth look. Conflicting information must be examined to discover the truth. What we think we know often changes, but you've read that here before. Here are a few tips on how to lower confirmation bias.

The math is showing us that the virus has spread much more widely than anyone even dared to publicly speculate. That lends support that it has been here longer than thought which is what many people in the medical community have been saying. It also means that it is not killing as high of a percentage of people. This is good news! I hope this gives you comfort.

Dear Reader, I hope you are doing well through this situation. If you need a someone to talk with or even to unload on, I am here. If you are local, I can drop off a meal or other supplies. I can dance outside your window to make you and your neighbors laugh. If you are distant, we can chat on the phone, play a game together over the internet, host another watch party, etc. Thank you to the ones who shared the more frequent posts are a help. I will try to include more positive news articles, family stories, and pictures. 

I ask for your prayers for my friends who are struggling financially and mentally. God made us all different. Some personalities rely on friends to help themselves cope through situations, and those people are having a much harder time right now. 

Please excuse typos. I came across this at the last minute and thought the numbers would be good to share. The rest just shows you my line of thinking.