Monday, April 13, 2020

Fishing and Fannies

I went fishing over the weekend. I was watching my step, walking along slowly reeling in my line, glancing at the pretty sailboat off in the distance, and talking. When all of a sudden, weeeeeee!!! I slipped in the mud and went down fast and hard! My feet went straight out in front of me, and I landed solidly on my fanny! 

Everyone was worried for me at first. After seeing I was OK, we all laughed! All the way down and even after I landed I held on to my rod and kept reeling in my line! I didn't miss a beat!

On that particular trip, we didn't catch anything except for my current aches and pains. I should have taken my camera instead of my pole. We watched an egret stalking food in the grasses. A very hungry red tailed hawk was fighting off black buzzards for something along the edges of the marsh. We also saw, quite up close, a majestic two year old bald eagle! It had a very large fish that was still trying to escape the strong talons gripping it. The young eagle showed us there were fish just out of reach of our poles.

love feeling something hit my line, setting the hook, reeling it in, and landing a fish! I do not enjoy baiting the hook, but I do it because it helps me reach my goal of obtaining those exciting moments. Long ago, I learned nearly everything has its downsides. 

To get to the enjoyable parts of life, you have to go through the not so pleasant parts. Even then, things still might not go like we hope, but we can take joy in whatever comes. Quick trips to the ground make you sore, but the laughter makes great memories.

Sometime today, after I get my to do list knocked down quite a bit, I am going to study the tide charts, water temperatures, and weather. Then, I am going to make plans for another fishing trip. Maybe we will see more stunning wildlife. Maybe we'll catch fish. Maybe I'll stay upright. Whatever comes, we'll make the best of it!