Thursday, April 23, 2020

Coronavirus (positive experience)

A few times a year, we go into neighborhoods for needed organic materials for our farm. I never have enough. I never, ever turn down any leaves, straw, grass clippings, pulled weeds, branches, mulch, discarded landscaping, etc. I can put them all to good use in relatively short order. 

I think we picked up 45 bags of yard "waste" last night, and it will be nowhere near enough for my needs. Without exaggerating, I could easily make use of 10xs or 20xs that amount. It would take me awhile to sort it, unpack it, and move it around, but every bit would be put to use. 

As we picked up the needed organic materials off of neighborhood curbs last night, there were cars in every driveway in the neighborhoods we went through. Normally, there are very few cars and just the occasional dog walker or bike rider. ðŸ‘‹I am a waver.👋 On previous trips, sometimes people would wave, sometimes not.This time was markedly different! Almost everyone waved back!

Scores of people were outside! Families were walking their dogs together. Children were riding bikes. Couples were working in their yards. People were waving, smiling, saying hi, and some took time to converse with us (from a distance). They were grateful their hard work to clean up their yards would be going to our livestock and gardens. Some even asked us to come back tonight to pick up what they clean out today. 

Everyone was smiling and in a great mood! I have never seen that many people at home and outside moving around in a neighborhood before. It was surreal. It looked like one of those movie scenes showing the utopian suburban neighborhoods. It was very encouraging!

We also met a man, originally from Tennessee, who gave us approximately $350 worth of gardening materials. He, Clint, and Brandon dug them up in a hurry so we could have them. I only kept two pavers and some garden edging for myself. I gave the many landscaping stones and scalloped concrete tree rings to Brandon for his home. I certainly could have used it, but I will enjoy seeing what he does with it. 

Dear Reader, Let's pray in agreement together that the beneficial things stick with people and become a frequent practice.