Saturday, May 16, 2020

How I Store My Seeds

seedsinmylar
purchased seeds packaged in mylar

lettuceseeds
I write the crop name, variety, date I purchased, where I purchased, 
and the circled H tells me it is a heirloom variety.
The growing details with tips are kept in a folder.

Most people store their seeds in paper envelopes, but that has not worked to keep a higher germination rate for me. I live along the east coast where humidity levels are very high. Seeds in paper will absorb moisture which makes them age faster. 

The seeds I purchased that came packaged in mylar were keeping a very high germination rate for many years. Curious as to why, I did research on how to best package my seeds. I sought out seed banks and seed vendors for information. 

I learned that while it does not look like it, seeds are very active. If the seeds have enough moisture, they will need oxygen because the moisture keeps them in a more active state. The more active they are the shorter the life of the stored seed. If the seeds are very dry, no oxygen is necessary, and they will keep for a much longer period in a cool environment. So, I make sure my seeds are very dry and store them in mylar now to keep them from absorbing moisture in our climate.

A low tech way to check moisture content is to put the sealed package in the sun for a short time. If there is too much moisture, it will condensate on the inside of the package. My pond fish food will condense on the side of the package in the sun, so I used a little of that for comparison. You can put seeds in a dehydrator set on low to remove more moisture.

To reduce the rate of ageing and prolong shelf life of the seeds, it is recommended to store the seeds dry and cool. Most if not all damage is related to oxidation of proteins, membranes, DNA, mRNA and lipids. Although the effect of both low temperatures and low moisture seed moisture content is through a reduction in the rate of oxidation, the role of oxygen in the storage environment is hardly or not considered. The deleterious effects of oxygen during dry seed storage are presented, as well methods to reduce oxygen levels during dry seed storage and prolong the shelf life of seeds. Source

“While the earth remains,
Seedtime and harvest,
And cold and heat,
And summer and winter,
And day and night
Shall not cease.”
Genesis 8:22

seedsinmylar2
This is a close up of the list of seeds in the package in top picture. If you click it, it should take you to a larger version for easier reading. I can usually find them selling for $11 to $20. Lately, with concerns over coronavirus and the food supply chain, the prices have fluctuated as high as $55! There are not many seeds of each type, but you get several different types in one package. They are heirloom seeds, so the seeds will produce plants like the mother plant. One needs to lean when and how to harvest each type of seed to be successful. Wet seeds, like tomato, need to be handled a certain way before drying.