Friday, May 15, 2020

Snake Trap

snaketrap2

Last year, I lost some peafowl eggs to a snake. Peafowl eggs can sell for quite a bit, and the chicks can sell for more. The sales I make from the peafowl help support the rest of our livestock.

As a steward of this earth, I am a "live and let live" kind of soul, even with the critters I do not particularly enjoy, ...until it starts taking from my family. Then, I fight back. 

This homemade trap will not kill the snake. It has air holes and is set in the shade. We have permission at two other properties where we can legally release them. I really like the fan guard trap idea you see here

For the trap I made, I cut the top off of the grape juice bottle and inverted the top. Then I stapled it all the way around for a good strong hold. Snakes are stronger than one might imagine. There is an unhatched goose egg and two bantam eggs inside for bait. A rigid minnow trap also works to catch snakes, but I can't find mine atm. Hopefully we will get to keep all of our peafowl eggs and raise more chicks this year.