Friday, May 22, 2020

Seed Starting in Rockwool

startingseeds

I write on the lid when I start them, so I can check germination progress on the correct days.

startingseedsrockwool

These are rockwool cubes. Rockwool cubes are made from melted rock and sand that has been "spun" like cotton candy. They are sterile and can be reusable. These have been seeded and pinched closed. For started seedlings, they can be cut almost all of the way in half with a "hinge" left.

rockwoolinverted

Helpful Hint: Single rockwool cubes are "tippy." To get around that, I turned them over and used the bottom as the top. It worked great to stand up apple tree cuttings. A branch was pruned, so I decided to try to root the tips. I soaked the rockwool cubes in a solution of Mycorrhizal Fungus (root developer).They may not take root. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.


The Lord will guide you always;
    he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
    and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
    like a spring whose waters never fail.

Isaiah 58:11